Sunday, September 16, 2012

Green Card Gospel

I'm afraid that the Gospel of Christ has become a "Green Card Gospel". We have been taught that Christianity is all about escaping hell by repeating a certain prayer. Really? Is that it? What about loving your neighbor? What about learning to judge less? What about blessing those who curse you? What about following Christ? I think these things are much more likely to lead us to true salvation than simply repeating a prayer on a tract. The Green Card Gospel is easy - as it requires no discipleship. It requires absolutely no love. This is evident in those who accept it, as they are often quite obnoxious about their new citizenship. Their "get out of hell free card" guarantees them a membership into an elite Country Club of mansions and feasts. And who wouldn't want that? Yet we must remember the words of Christ: "Not everyone who calls out to me, 'Lord! Lord!' will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter" (Matthew 7:21).

U2 lead singer Bono once said that he would rather be called a Christ-follower than a Christian. To me, this makes sense, because it reflects how Jesus preached. "Come and follow me" he would often say. We must be careful that time and carelessness do not allow these words to be morphed into, "Repeat after me".

No comments:

Post a Comment