Saturday, December 19, 2009

Learning to Love as Jesus Loved

I have noticed that there is a tendancy within the Christian community to hang out and fellowship a lot with Christians. While this is important, I think that it can be overdone and lead to a mentality that shuns other people. And as a result we congregate in our churches “free” from the “negative” impacts of homosexuals, Mormons and even Democrats, to name a few.

But this shunning lifestyle is in contrast to the life Jesus lived. He was often found rebuking religious leaders and was in turn rebuked for hanging out with those who were rejected by society. As he once said, “You will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged” (link). This is a scary warning, especially to those of us with a sometimes self-righteous mentality. And for those of us who call ourselves Christians it should directly impact how we treat others. Do I live with a smile on my face or do I scowl at those I disagree with? Do I look for the good in people or do I only notice the bad?

If everyone around is just like me I’ve fallen victim to the bubble mentality.

“Everytime you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing.”

- Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment